This workshop, developed in collaboration with HEIG-VD, introduces teens to basic computer architecture, building computer hardware and a simple gaming controller followed by programming a game in Python. Attendees will be able to take their creations home after the workshop (not including screen, keyboard and mouse).
The objective is to encourage teens and youngsters to innovate and create hardware and software to their liking. Around the world hundreds of young teens are already coding games and creating solutions to climate change, energy management or medical solutions.
Give your teen a chance to get ahead in life, perhaps find a new passion and see how easy, yet challenging and satisfying it can be to create something he/she can be proud of.
- Introduction to computer design and architecture
- Build around Raspberry Pi computer
- Build a simple gaming controller
- Control external hardware via a computer
- Learn programming in Python on your new computer
- Basic graphics design
- Build a challenging game in Python with sound effects, explosions and graphics
- Game competition
- Understand essentials of safety online and awareness of fake news
- Gain basic skills in innovating
- Gain an appreciation of how hardware and software work
- See how with relatively little effort it is possible to innovate and create useful products/services
- Gain an ability to think in a structured, logical manner and break down complex problems into manageable pieces
- To challenge and push themselves
- Learn basic Python programming
- To build a computer connected device, a simple gaming controller and write a computer game
- This is an Appetizer/Chef level workshop with a duration of one week, Monday to Friday, for youngsters aged 14 – 16 years. All workshops are as much hands on and interactive as possible.
- Participants need not bring any materials other than some drinks and a packed lunch
- Innovation 2018, lasts one working week. Each day starts at 0900 hrs and ends at 1700 hrs. Attendees can be dropped off from 0830 hrs and picked up until 1730 hrs. The location is Rionzi 57, Le Mont-sur-Lausanne. One can also take bus no. 8, getting off at Rionzi. If, due to work constraints, this timing or extended travel is difficult, please call us. We’d like to understand parents difficulties better so we can try to alleviate them.
- Workshop is in French and English. No prior experience or knowledge is required.