GIMP is free software that runs on all major platforms. It is similar to Adobe Photoshop. GIMP is used by professionals over the world and has tools to create artwork and drawings on a computer, import, convert and manipulate photographs and other images, create montages, web graphics, animations and art.
GIMP manipulation tools are available through tool boxes, drop down menus and dialog boxes. These tools include different types of brushes and filters, as well as transformation tools, selection methods and layers.
GIMP is primarily a bitmap editing software, whereas InkScape is vector based. To see examples of Gimp produced artwork, see here.
The workshop will cover 3 aspects:
- The technical usage of the software – along with some basic theory
- Design considerations – how to ensure e.g. logos and newsletters have a balance between white space and content, wording adapted to the audience and the target of the communication, etc.
- Practical group works in order to create a poster or graphic that tells an interesting story based on a current affairs topic, and or a family montage that they can take home.
Gimpy workshops will start early next year.
Learn how to use the following GIMP tools:
- Drawing tools
- The brushes, gradients and textures
- Selection tools
- Transformation tools
- Learn basic design considerations
Objectives & Expected Results
- create various pieces of artwork.
- learn basics of design and typograpghy
- learn to work in teams
- learn to communicate based on audience and medium
- Suitable ages: 9 to 16 Years
- No other requirements
Materials provided by us
- All material will be provided.
Materials that student should bring